Quincy Miami Township Fire & Rescue
Fire Chief: Judd Brooks
Squad Chief: Vacant
Fire Department Phone: 937-585-3461
119 West Main Street
Quincy, Ohio 43343
History of the Quincy Fire Department
The Quincy Fire Department was reorganized in the early 50’s and renamed the “Quincy• Miami Township Fire Department”. The residents of Quincy and Miami Township outside of DeGraff voted a bond issue so that a 500 gallon per minute pumper and a 1,000 gallon tanker could be purchased. In later years the department’s territory was extended beyond Miami Township into Pleasant Township, Logan County, and Perry Township, Shelby County, including the Village of Pemberton.
In the late 50’s the department expanded their services by purchasing an ambulance. Originally it was to be used at fires in case a fireman was injured. But soon it was used to aid residents of the area. The first vehicle was a 1942 Oldsmobile. This was replaced later with a 1955 Pontiac, then a 195.7 Cadillac, and finally a 1964 Cadillac which is still in service. In 1975 a second 1964 Cadillac ambulance was donated to the department by the Reeder, Riggin, Madden Funeral Home.
Because of the large number of grass fires along the railroads, the department added a four wheel drive jeep to their growing fleet in the early 1960’s. This vehicle was replaced later with a four wheel drive International pick-up truck, which since has been replaced with a Ford truck.
The first new vehicle to be purchased since 1952 was a 1974 GMC 750 gallon per minute pumper that was placed in service in December 1974.
Since the organization of the Quincy-Miami Township Fire Department there have been only two chiefs, William Hasbrook and R. H. McCann.
The department’s fleet is housed in the Village hall on the Southwest corner of Main and Miami Streets.
The Quincy Fire Department in 1966. Left to right – Robert Rowley, Adolph Weiskittle, Bill Douglas, R. H. McCann, Bernie Stewart, Don Davis, and Clyde Watkins.